The UK’s Launch event at the Isaac Newton Institute was a fantastic success and the videos are now online!
The guest speakers included:
- Introduction by Mr Howard Covington (Chairman of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences Management Committee)
- Mathematical approaches to improving climate predictions, interactive hazard warnings and public explanations by Prof Lord Julian Hunt (Emeritus Prof of Climate Modeling, UCL, Hon Prof at DAMTP and a member of the House of Lords)
- Extreme Events and Health Protection: What are the Challenges? by Prof Virginia Murray (Head of Extreme Events and Health Protection, HPA)
- A Financial Perspective of Extreme Climatic Events by Dr. Filimon Gournaris (Securis Investments)
- Exploiting Wave Energy: Why We Shouldn’t Give Up by Prof Rod Rainey (Head of Technology, Floating Structures, Atkins Oil & Gas)
- Don’t know, can’t know: communicating risk and deeper uncertainty by Prof David Spiegelhalter (Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk, University of Cambridge)
Followed by a Panel Session of questions and answers and a wine reception!
More event details are available at: http://www.newton.ac.uk/events/2013/mpe/
Videos are available at: http://sms.cam.ac.uk/collection/1369666
Look out for other upcoming events at the Isaac Newton Institute: